Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Chasing Sophie

These are just some things I have discovered.
Being 8 months pregnant, carrying a watermelon around inside is hard work when you have to take care of a toddler!! Some of you may know this already.
I can't even reach to put my own shoes on anymore (flip-flops are my everyday foot attire) so it's quite a struggle to capture my little Sophie and get her changed and dressed. She wants to be very independent of course and does not want to get dressed when Mommy says it's time. And so begins the chase of capturing her and sitting her down. Once she's captured we take off the pjs and diaper and begin to put on her clothes, that's usually when I realize I've forgotten her socks or something. So, I have to heave my big butt up off the floor again (a struggle) and then Sophie is off and running down the hall. Then round 2 begins of capturing her and finishing getting dressed. After that I clean up the room she has now made a mess of while getting ready.
And when we are both finally dressed and ready to go, do you think Sophie is ready to walk downstairs? Duh...NO! She apparently is never ready to do things when Mommy is- and vice versa! And so goes the next tantrum of her crying... I have to chase her and then she likes to pretend she's helpless and needs me to carry her downstairs. (Oy- my back!)
When we've finally gotten it all together and are heading out the door I glance at the clock and groan. It's only 10:00??!!?? I feel like I've already had an entire day!


So after we did get out of the house we enjoyed a beautiful morning outside today. It is gorgeous here- sunny and mid 70s -you gotta love that in January! We ventured over to the Zilker Botanical Gardens. It was a nice place, but perhaps January is not the ideal time of year to go, as nothing is blooming at the time. Oh well, it still felt good to get out and enjoy the fresh air and greenery!

1 comment:

Mama Duck said...

That's more like it! Now I'd agree with your addiction diagnosis.

Ummm, can I just say the whole Toddler Chasing sequence sucks even worse when you're trying to strap on a hat, boots, mittens and coat (true, I'm only 7 mos. pregnant, but I'm usually doing this with all of my winter weather gear on so we're ready to make a break for the door once Grace is bundled up!)?