Thursday, May 05, 2005

I'm cheaper than you

I have some friends who will only buy their childrens' clothes at Gymboree or Gap. I secretly call them the "kiddie clothes snobs."
Gap, Gymboree...HA! I will never pay their prices!
"But the quality is so much better. They'll last forever and they don't fade."
Great, but how long is your kid gonna actually gonna wear them?? Probably 6 months or so before they outgrow them.
"Oh, Gap's having a really good sale right now. You get 2 for $20. You can mix and match the shirts and shorts."
Ummm, $20 is the sale??!! For a kid's outfit? That they will spill spaghetti sauce on, tear a hole in, color on, or simply outgrow in a few months? Don't think so. That's not much of a sale in my book.
Now a real deal can be found down at your local Target store (my FAVORITE store). 2 for $10 or sometimes even cheaper. There is nothing wrong with Target clothes. They're cute, afforable, and I've never had a problem with the quality.
The snobs say that Target clothes don't hold up like the other clothes. True. But if the shirt gets wrecked, who cares? you only paid a few bucks for it anyway. Old Navy ain't so bad either.
Now I'll say occasionally I do splurge and buy something full price for a special occasion- Christmas dress, an especially extra cute outfit Sophie has to have, etc. But I'd have to say my max price is still only about $15-20 for the whole outfit.
And I DO buy Gymboree or Gap... from the resale shop or TJMax. Shhhh. don't tell. Of course the snobs would know that Sophie's Gymboree shirt was so last season!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You are MY kind of mama!!! ;)