Wednesday, May 18, 2005

What to do?

So here's the story.
We had really wanted to eliminate Sophie's pacifier by Christmas, and then it was gonna be by the time Holden was born, but for some reason or another it just didn't happen. She relies on the paci to help her sleep. (And we definitely wanted her to sleep!) She's only allowed to have it for naps and bedtime. But it needs to be a goner by the time she turns two (in July)!
I have tried putting her to sleep without it before, but she asks for it and cries until I give it to her. I have been talking it up a lot lately "Oh, Sophie big girls don't need paci's. Paci's are for babies, like Holden. Pretty soon paci's going to be gone."
So my question is should we:
A) just lose it one day. Tell her it's gone, we lost it, or threw it away, etc. and let her cry it out ??
B) make her a part of the losing of the paci. Talk it up for a day or so and then we throw it away together. Do the whole "you're a big girl" bit and "big girls don't need paci's" ??

Please send me your advice and comments!!

4 comments:

Mama Duck said...

First off, I wouldn't stress about it. I read in Parents magazine that as long as it's ONLY used for sleep there's no harm until the kids is four. Whew...

That aside, ummmm, losing it might be the best thing and possibly (like the next day) replace it with a small blankie who lives in the crib? Haven't been down that road yet, but am dreading the day I do!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa suggest's that you make her a part of getting rid of it and she should be the one to give it to some one else , ie Uncle Darryl traded his at K Mart for a riding car and Uncle Andrew gave his to the Easter Bunny both where 2 years old at the time and gave them up with no problem's. Don't let Sophie cry!

Anonymous said...

Hi all I agree that she should not be allowed to cry. I think if you lpose it she is smart enough to say she might want one of Holdens or she mightjust pick one of his up and start sucking on it.I like the suggestions provided.I understand habits need to be replaced with an alternative habit. What do the baby books say about breaking the soother sucking? I think you are lucky that she only uses it at bedtime and she knows that is the case!!! What a smart kid she is!!!

KurlyButler said...

Winnie and I both know people who have had a lot of success slowly cutting a little bit off each week until there is not much left and the child gives it up on their own.
When Ryan was younger, I also talked it up and kept telling him that when he was 2 he didn't need it anymore. The day after his birthday, he threw it away on his own.
Question: What makes you so concerned about her taking it only at sleeping times?