Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Cheaters

After reviewing the poll results,

If you were having difficulty on an important test and could safely cheat by looking at someone else's paper, would you do so?
Yes= 18 people
Maybe= 9 people
No= 16 people

I have to say I'm not too surprised. I think the majority of us have probably cheated or considered cheating at some point in our lives.
But here's where I start stemming off...
If you replied yes- would it be ok for your child to do this?
Do you want to raise your children to think it's okay to cheat? Most parents would say no I'm sure.
As a first grade teacher, among other things I teach children that it is wrong to cheat. My rules were stated at the beginning of the year and I enforced them consistently. If ever I caught a student cheating I would pull he/she aside and talk to them about the incident. I would call their parents and let them know what had happened. Most of the time, their parents thanked me for the phone call because they didn't want their child to cheat on a test. Sometimes the child would get the chance to retake the test later.
I wasn't out to ridicule or admonish the child, but I as a teacher I felt I had a moral obligation. I couldn't condone cheating.

This is what astonishes me:
Apparently after talking with colleagues, some thought it was acceptable at times to let a student get away with cheating. I remember one particular instance I confided in a friend, also a parent, after catching a student cheating on his Friday test. She thought that I was wrong- I should not have called the student aside nor called his parents. She says, "you know he was probably really embarrassed anyway. It would only further lower his self-esteem..."
Friend thought it was completely ok to let the cheating student slide.
After all, we had cheated on high school tests together...

SO IS IT,
"Do as I say, not as I do????"

Please understand I'm not hear to call you cheaters out, I voted 'maybe' after all (and I no, I DON'T cheat on my sudoku), I'm not judging, I'm just sayin...
how do you teach children the right thing to do, if you yourself don't always do the right thing?


Now here's my new HAIRDO

me the new do


And your new poll question for the week:
Relative to the population at large, how do you rate your intelligence?
On a scale of 1-10 (ten being the most intelligent).
GO VOTE!

19 comments:

Hope said...

None of us are perfect, I guess. We teach our children through everything we do, right or wrong.

From my own personal experience I can say my son has also "taught" me right from wrong, when I've been forced to see myself through his eyes.

Maybe that's something we should all try to do a little more often.

Just my two cents. Or maybe more like a dime. :)

Lori said...

I would definitely want to be called if one of my kids was caught cheating on a test. And hopefully they know better.

I think one of our jobs is parents is to hope to make the next generation better. I don't really remember cheating on a test, but even if I had I'd want my kids to know it was wrong.

Love the new do.

Anonymous said...

I love your new hair style. It looks cooler and easier to take care of.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to tell you about a fun Sudoku website: http://www.jigsawdoku.com/.
You can change the difficulty level and number of tiles by going to "Options". This Sudoku allows you to use numbers, letters, or symbols. It's fun!

Spikey1 said...

ZERO!

PS. Perhaps that is why I hate Sudoku!

Me said...

Your hair looks about the same. LOL. Cute and easy... YOUR HAIR, not you!!! LOL. Although i don't know, maybe you were cute and easy too...

Rhonda said...

I said "no" for this very reason. Of course, I have cheated, but now that I have a child, I would not.

Leska McCall said...

Love the new do.

And about the cheating/self esteem comment from your colleague.....so would that be the worst thing, to bear a little shame? Or is a lowered standard of morals the better option according to her? YIKES! And we wonder why our society is in such disarray with the loss of personal responsibility!
I emailed you about the photo effect.

TheStolenOlive said...

I am against cheating in all forms. It makes my blood boil. Partly because, cheating is the reason our country is where it is today.

Especially with the joke of an education system that we have now. That "No Child Left Behind" should really be "No Cheaters Left Behind".

There is actually a line in the law that says "you can not deny a student academic credit for disciplinary reasons." You know what that means?

During my last of three miserable years teaching high school, I wrote up 4 students for cheating on an exam and gave them zeros. The next day their LAWYERS were at the school.

A teacher can now stand at the front of his/her classroom, watch a kid cheat, and can't do a thing about it.

It was at that point I decided that I could no longer be a part of the education community that was actively condoning promoting cheating to our future generations.


And your hair cut is darling! I just got mine cut too. I need to get a pic up.

Kat said...

Okay, well I'm not reposting my original comment - I'd have to think to remember what clever thing I had to say about cheating.

Damn blogger.

But I will say I LOVE your haircut and those pictures of you are fabulous! Totally Jackie! Beautiful as always! :) I love it when you smile! :)

Nap Queen said...

I LOVE your hair!!!! It is cute and sexy and fun :)

Christie E. Little said...

You look sooooo young! Love it babe. You look great.

No cheating...

I think if you start cheating it makes it easier for keep cheating. I just think of the little first graders in my daughters class. They were already being taught to keep their eyes on their own papers and setting up standing folders to keep their tests private. Starts young.

TheStolenOlive said...

What really gets me is people who cheat on ONLINE GAMES!

I play a lot on Pogo. They have weekly badges that you can play a certain game and win a certain number of games and get a badge. I constantly see people asking how to cheat on the game or asking if someone wants to do theirs for you.

If you will cheat on something as stupid as Mahjong, then it makes it a lot easier to start cheating on other things. Next thing you know you are cheating on your taxes and your spouse.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

You look HOT HOT HOT!
Love the haircut!

About the cheating I think we need to teach our children it is wrong and so if they do cheat lets hope they have a conscience!

Kami said...

Your hair is AWESOME!!! You are such a hottie.

I would want to know if Nik were cheating, so that Jon and I could address it.

Jay said...

Well I have to admit that while in high school I cheated on two tests. One Physics test and one Chem test. I would not have failed the tests, but I wouldn't have made A's either. I did feel guilty about it for a long time, maybe I still do.

When I was a soph in college I was taking a test in a Finance class and the girl next to me was trying to cheat off me. And she wasn't being too subtle about it either. She even scooted her chair over a bit.

I looked up at the instructor with a kind of exasperated look and she just winked at me. To this day I don't know if she was telling she'd take care of it, or if she was saying "got a new friend there, go for it" or what.

I'm not sure I helped her anyway, I made a C in the class.

Where do we go to vote on the new poll? Is there a link?

Jay said...

Ok, so maybe I will have to give myself a ONE. I just now saw the poll on the sidebar. What a moron! haha

Also, ment to say that I love the hair. You look great!

Elizabeth said...

Loving the hair.

On this most recent poll, you did not have a designation for "smart as fuck" so I settled for an 8.

Sheri & SuZan said...

I certainly would want to know if my child was cheating. I would hope that a Teacher, given the position she is in, would do exactly what you would do. I think children should learn that there are consequences to their actions early on.

Love the new haircut!