Sunday, September 24, 2006

damn good cake
Dwayne went and had himself a birthday on Saturday.
offshoot- Sophie has been calling her dad "Dwayne" all weekend. She's done it so many times now it's become an unconscious act.
('cept when she's cryin. then it's all "daaddddddy!!")


So we surprised him with a delicious cake from Lucy's and a few gifts in the afternoon. although it wasn't much of a surprise because somebody I know doesn't know how to keep a secret. sophie.
"I can't tell you about the cake we ordered from Lucy's Daddy. It's a secret." (this was back when he was still called Daddy)

my baby can blow
Sorry I didn't put all the candles on this year Dwayne,
but I'm cheap and didn't want to spend the money on all those packages of candles. and there wasn't enough room on the cake. and last year the smoke alarm went off in the house after you blew out the candles.

But wait till I get ya next year when you "officially" turn old...

Holden shocked me when he actually chose to use a fork over his preferred 10 little built-in utensils to eat his cake.
smiles for miles

There are times when I think I can't stand another minute of this crappy 'motherhood' job, when the repeated visions of running away into the forrest and hitchiking back in time to the days of fun partying, sleeping in late, and few responsibilities take over my mind...
but then one of the kids goes and does something so cute and tender that motherhood reclaims it's place of being worthy.
This past week Holden has made me stop bitching and struggling with the everday tasks of rearing two small needy children, and made me remember to step back and enjoy these times. Their sweet smell, the snuggles and tender little toes to nibble on. Their innocence and fresh eyes on the world...precious little beings. (not to say that they can't be total snots sometimes too)

So one day last week, Holden's language exploded and it won't stop gushing. Everyday I'm struck by 2 or 3 new words he proudly announces to the world! It's not even the fact that he can say the words, but more the pride in his voice and smile when he realizes he's using big words to communicate with us. It's quite touching. sadly these endearing moments only happen once. Once. And I'm just glad I'm here now to enjoy them.
Sweet times and all, every mommy needs a break. And I can appreciate these tender moments the most when I've gotten a break from the mom job.

ummy
All of the sudden I blinked and my child grew up.
Sophie is a little big girl now.

~~~~~~
and then we got to be grownups for the evening...
happy birthday
sort of.

Our dear friend Lauren and her weinie dog Oscar came over and played with the kids while Dwayne and I escaped the mayhem. We enjoyed a quaint and pleasing meal out to the Cosmic Cafe. funky, but a good place to eat.
And later that evening I gave Dwayne his *real* birthday present from me...

39 BIG FAT SPANKINGS!!!

13 comments:

Lori said...

Damn! Are you flexible or what?

Happy Birthday Dwayne!!

And trust me, it gets easier as they get older. The kids, that is.

Christie E. Little said...

Hunny those are some of the coolest F-me shoes I've seen in quite a while. Without the whole stripper look...soooo sexy! LOL.

I really do love them. You kiddies are just growing so faaassst!
xoxo
C

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy Birthday to Dwayne. Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Kami said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DWAYNE!!

My kid was calling me "Kami" this weekend. GAWD.

Kat said...

Happy Birthday Dwayne!!!! Dang, your kids are growing up so fast!

You are a nut. Why didn't you post your booty shot? That's hawt. :)

Me said...

Happy belated birthday from a girlie in Iowa! :) (Ok - not by CHOICE, but just cuz I'm stuck here.)

Elizabeth said...

I love the pic of the two of you. Happy birthday Lum Husband. :)

Anonymous said...

39 spankings huh? I'm sure he took them like a man. Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun.. .
I was soooo glad when CC moved to town, I missed it from Dallas. Their hummus rocks, and my kids love the lentil soup.
Glad you've had some good mama days;)
mmc

Unknown said...

You hottie! Oh, and Lucky, you're pretty cute too!!!

Now stop being all mushy with me. I'm trying to remember those special moments too, but it's heard when a certain one year-old just wants to scream and cry "Up! Up! Up!" every. night when I'm cooking dinner!

Anonymous said...

What a blast to see such a Happy Birthday bash! Looks like a good time was had by all. Don't hurt my son Jackie he needs his bottom for meetings!!! Love you all so much!!!

Anonymous said...

Holy Mackeral Dwaynie is 39 already. How did that happen. He looks as cute as he did when he was born. I actually forgot he was born in Canada's centennial year. Jackie the fun you are having with your children, reminds me of the fun my family had with Dwayne when he was a little guy. I called my brothers and sister to tell them of Dwayne's big bithday and they reminded me of many little stories about Dwayne as they were just teenagers and preteens when he was born. Give him our love and best wishes.

Jackie and the rest of the Wolfrey gang.

Teena in Toronto said...

Wow! That cake looks yummy! Gimme some :)