Tuesday, September 26, 2006

ssssnakey, snakey come here...
sssss
I'd like a snake for a pet.
Sophie told me not to let this one in the house though. because he's not a dog.
but Dwayne says we can't have a snake for a pet anyway. awwwww!

No joke- I once lived in a house with rattlesnakes and other various wild animals

I believe this is the complete list of animals kept in this wild house at one time:
2 dogs- Hendrix and Nip
2 kittens- Mary and Daisy
1 flying squirrel- Sampson was the best!
2 boa constrictors -Rosy and Lugwig
1 Cayman crocodile- named Oscar because he was a grouch!
1 tiny snapping turtle named Elvis
2 western diamondbacks rattlers- Bonnie and Clyde
1 eastern diamondback, and 1 massasauga rattler
2 puff adders
2 Colorado River Toads, they secrete venomous ooze from their pores, also used as a psychedelic drug. I know nothing about that.
3 free roaming iguanas, big fat ones, and 1 small caged iguana(as it turns out they will kill and eat mice)
2 free roaming geckos -to keep the bugs out of the house
1 monitor
1 king snake for a day- she was captured, she laid her eggs, and then she vanished. We incubated the eggs until 4 hatched and we later let them go.

WHY? you ask
I was living in a house with 3 other wild boys that wanted animals that you weren't supposed to keep as pets. I was just along for the ride.
Who the hell keeps rattlesnakes as pets?
Crazy, ex-marines (RECON boys) that's who- one was my fiancee and his best friend, and another granola boy. The boys even built a glass topped coffee table/cage for the rattlers...that way you could watch the whole show when the mice were dropped in.

It was a whole house full of animals, cages, lights and cords, and lots of POOP!
It was quite an experience learning about so many animals and their ways of survival though.

like when a monitor eats a mouse and doesn't pass it within a week, you have to force feed it castor oil. ewwwww!
and a cayman will bite the head off a mouse and leave it's decapitated body floating in the water for days. freaky
geckos can bite really HARD. they have clamp stronger than man.
you cannot find a boa that's hidden inside a car if it doesn't want to be found. boas can hide inside a car for a week and come back completely unscathed. and it comes back all, "What? What are you guys lookin at?? Now feed me!"

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and then there's the smell after the snake has "passed" the mouse/rat/whatever. We have a red-tailed boa.

Me said...

Hmmm... I think there is fodder for a LOT of stories here with those guys as ex-roomates!!!!

As for the snake - ironically (?) I just discussed getting a Ball Python last night with NatureGirl. There is one for sale with all his 'stuff' in the paper for 50 bucks but we decided that since we have a furry little hamster, which would make a great entree' for the snake... we best not go that route right now. LOL.


PS:
I've also had snakes! :)

1 - Ball python (Saraya)
1 - Reticulated Python (Little Brat)
1 - Burmeze Python (Hollywood) who was over 9 feet long and lived in our closet. LOL.

Christie E. Little said...

HOLY CRAP! You are a brave woman, babe. That's all I have to say. A snake?! Ugh..lol.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh my goodness did we live in the same house, with the same men, we had about 1/2 those animals when my ex lived with some of his best friends, then alot of them came and lived with us when we got married. I do not miss them though but watching them eat mice is pure entertainment, oh the rats are even better!

Teena in Toronto said...

Not a big fan of snakes. We went to a reptile zoo last year and it was freaky watching the snakes inhaling the dead mice. Eeeeee!

Anonymous said...

I have to go google "puff adder". We have lots of free-roaming geckos here in wild, wonderful, Round Rock West. I never thought of them as pets :-D

Spikey1 said...

You just freaked me out.. thanks! I HATE snakes! Arrrg.

Kat said...

It's not that I don't like snakes, it's just that I think mice are cute. :P

You like Iguanas? SuZan is trying to relocate her sons - I could bring it to you, cage and all. :)

Lucky Lum said...

amy-
these were the large geckos you buy at the pet store. not those little guys we get running around these parts.

Kami said...

No.

Thank.

You.