Sunday, August 20, 2006

The misery project I've begun...
be gone

Ridding our bathroom walls of the horrid mid-90s dark ugly green with gold diamondy shapes and stripes. yuck!
no offense if you like that stuff. But I’ve been staring at the ugliness for the last two half years. And although the corners are peeling the wallpaper will simply not remove itself!

ug2

So this weekend I grabbed my scraper and commenced stripping!
I stripped and peeled close to an hour and after stepping back to look at my progress I'm figuring I’ll be lucky to have this bathroom done in a year.

Plans are to paint the walls and perhaps one day replace the ugly outdated
brass hardware and cracked tiles. ahhh, a girl can dream... When we moved into this house we had a few rooms that we had planned to redecorate. After attempting to strip and rewallpaper the first room (one teeny tiny powder room), stepping waaaay over budget, and generally making a mess of things, I came to the conclusion that redecorating involves a lot of time and money (and skill).
But soon I was knocked up *Holden* and that seemed to be the end of any remodeling plans. Because babies too take a lot of time and money.

Now- no more babies and I can get back to my plans of a new bathroom!

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd love to come help you out.

Wait, no I wouldn't. That's a sucky, sucky thing, stripping wallpaper.

Me said...

DIF... and HOT water. That crap comes literally, right off.

I always took a deep breath before something like that. You know... the moment when you grab a little corner and before you rip you say; "Well, there's no going back now!" and tear a huge chunk off!

What a great feeling. LOL.

Elizabeth said...

Yeah, that DIF stuff works wonders. My hubs used it and seriously it's amazing. No more scraping for 8 years.

Kami said...

You can pay people to do that, honey. Just sayin'. ;)

Fabnormal said...

Hooray new bathroom! Boo Hiss wallpaper.

The only thing worse than full on wallpaper is wallpaper border. Bleh. Whoever invented wallpaper border should be shot!

Lori said...

You could always take the route I did, wallpaper right over the existing crap. Of course I realize this creates a lot of work a couple years from now when I am tired of looking at it....

Anonymous said...

Why is it when you don't want the wallpaper to peel away it always does and when you need for it to come off easily...it doesn't? Another one for Unsolved Mysteries.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

I hate stripping wallpaper!

I did it to the powder room before I moved out! Damn all that work and then the ex bought me out!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh and just hot water and a sponge or rag...that stuff comes right off!

Memphis said...

Have you got the wall paper steamer? Seriously, that thing makes it come off SO MUCH EASIER. First you need the thing that scores the paper, though. Then the steamer. Everything goes so much faster with that thing. Just ask my wife. She's a room-wrecker and can tear down any ugly wallpaper in seconds, sometimes even while she's still sitting on the toilet. Seriously. SERIOUSLY!!!!

Yes, totally serious here.

Kat said...

Ya know, I think one of my bedspreads in college had that same print. :P

Steam and hot water definitely help! For some reason when I was in relationships I always got conned into helping the ex's moms do remodeling... :P

Christie E. Little said...

Do you know what I hate more than wallpaper? Removing wallpaper!!!! YUCK! Good for you baby.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

xoxo
C

Unknown said...

I like that trashy, trailer, cheap chic look you've created.

Good luck with that....

Unknown said...

DIF, defintely. I like the green wallpaper!

Peanutt said...

Removing wallpaper is the worst! I vowed NEVER to use wallpaper EVER because it sucks to remove!!!!

Nap Queen said...

I rented a steamer from Home Depot because I didn't want to use chemicals. It worked okay, but I ended up paying someone to finish the job. Remodeling IS expensive, even if you do it yourself. It's worth it in the end though!

Sheri & SuZan said...

Been there...done that...will have to do it again.

ick....but hot water helps a lot.

Unknown said...

If you need tips about stripping..don't do it. Just paint Kilz right over the top (2 coats) THen paint your bathroom the desireable color.
Take it from me I tried to strip and it took 4 months to finally finish the bathroom.


GOOD LUCK!!!!!

The Old Lady said...

The Old Man and I are still working on a bathroom remodel we started about a month ago! Good luck (we don't even have wall paper to blame but do have 3 small children to blame for not getting it done timely). Even painting always seems more expensive and time consuming than planned!

Monogram Queen said...

I heart re-decorating but not re-modeling. Good luck honey!