Saturday, March 12, 2005

The Labor Story

So Thursday evening I was having contractions, but didn't think a lot about them since I had been having them every night. I was really uncomfortable though and decided to take a warm bath and the contractions went away. This was all just irritating since I wasn't going into labor.
But then I started having more contractions and Dwayne and I decided to start timing them (this was about 8pm). They were all over the place- 4 minutes apart, 40 seconds long, 3 mins and 45 secs long, 4 1/2 mins and 30 secs- I was just thinking what the heck does this mean??!!
So they kept coming and getting painful, Dwayne said we should call the Dr and I said no, let's just wait and see what happens (I kept waiting for them to go away like last time). Anyway they didn't go away, they got stronger. We called the dr, but after about 10 mins I couldn't wait for her to call back. I said "we gotta go to the hospital now!"
We got there about 10:30, I was 8 cm dilated already. Yikes! I immediately told them I wanted my epidural (my worst fear was that it was too late). At this point the contractions were excrutiating and the anesthesiologist was taking FOREVER to get there!! He finally got there and I got my epi, but about 3 contractions later I started pushing because that baby was coming out! It was absolutely the most painful experience ever!!!! I do not recommend having a baby without an epidural! I know I was screaming all kinds of things, I remember hearing myself yell "Get him out! Pull him out!" And he did come out after a few more pushes. Holden was born at 11:37 and my epi started working about 5 minutes after that.
He was so beautiful and I felt a WHOLE lot better after pushing him out!

It's Saturday now and we are all happy to be home. Baby Holden is doing very well. Daddy is tired. Mom is tired and sore. Sophie is learning about having a baby at home and having to share Mommy and Daddy's attention. (more about that later...)

I'm posting some pictures and then heading to bed for hopefully a few hours of sleep.

7 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Lord love ya, I can't imagine going without an epi (and esp. with an 8 pounder!!!!). Congrats to you both!

Anonymous said...

Just think, before modern times, women had their babies without getting anything for childbirth! Even though the epidural didn't take effect soon enough, aren't you glad it was a fast labor and delivery?
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congrats to the whole family! Girl, I'll take that over my 36 hour labor with Cassie ANY day! LOL!

He's so cute!
Love,
Candy & Family

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys!
CONGRATS! He's sooooooo cute,and so is Sophia.
Talk to you soon!
LOL
Scott, Anne-Marie and Émilie

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I can't imagine pushing w/o the epi. Congratulations to you and your new family!

Shanna

Anonymous said...

HI!
Love the new baby he's so cute,and Sophie.
I hope you are very happy!!
LOVE,EMILIE

Unknown said...

I did it WITHOUT an epi and believe me I know how you felt. Way to Go Girl!!! He is so cute!
Take care and hugs to the family Lindsay and Caden