Tuesday, June 21, 2005

I HATE HATE HATE them!

Scorpions that is.

My weekly babysitter, who is deathly afraid of bugs- cockroaches, scorpions, spiders,... calls me this morning while I'm out shopping.
"I just wanted to say that Holden's ok, so don't get worried that I'm calling. But I found a scorpion! Actually, Archie found it and was playing with it." panic in her voice
"UGH! I hate those things." me, wondering if she'll actually be able to kill it.
She wanted to get the bugspray and kill it from afar, but I wasn't sure about flooding our wood floors with that stuff. But I definitely didn't want it running around free.
"Do you think you could get one of Dwayne's shoes and kill it?"
"Well I'm really afraid to. Maybe I can put a box over it and trap it til you get home."
"Ok, you can get shoebox and put something heavy on top of it so Archie doesn't want to play with it some more."

Later when I get home, there's a shoebox with a footstool on top, surrounded by 2 dining room chairs. Just to be safe.
I don't blame her.
Why is it that I always find the scorpions when Dwayne isn't home?!? I have to be the brave one! Have to kill them and make our house safe for the children. That is really the only reason I think I'm able to do it.

I carefully removed the chairs, stool, and box and screamed as I beat the thing mercilessly to death. 20 whacks with my shoe did the job. Then 12 papertowels to pick it up and throw it in the garbage. Meanwhile my heart is racing and I'm practically shaking, but the babysitter is cheering me on!

Everytime I find one of these fuggers I am scared for a week or so in the house. I start seeing them everywhere, the dead leaf on the floor, the dark spot on the wood, the pattern on the rug... and then I get scared to walk around barefoot too. And I love to walk around barefoot- who wants to wear shoes in the house?

Please send some juju my way that keeps all the scorpions away!!

7 comments:

Kat said...

Scorpions????!!! Ack! I would just move. I can't stand bugs!!! I usually just let out the 'Kitties I found a bug' scream and they come to the rescue, but scorpions are a different story! Fortunately we don't seem to have too many of those down here.

Did some digging and here's a couple of sites with info on how to keep them away. My favorite was getting chickens, which eat them....heee-hee, Archie would probably love that! Not to mention it would provide high entertainment for Sophie and Holden. :)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/swest/msg122346418850.html

http://www.e-bug.net/pests/scorpion_control.shtml

Anonymous said...

good thing I didn't see any of them when I was down there. I hate spiders and snakes. I thought they only thing I had to look out for was snakes. eeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!

Peanutt said...

Ok, I'm givin' you all the ju I got!!!!!
I would have just had her pack my stuff and meet me at the corner b/c I wouldn't be going back! YIKES! And heck, be strong for the kids??? Forget that! I try to get them to kill spiders for me!!!! They're boys, aren't they suppose to like that kind of thing???

Mama Duck said...

I hate those f'in' things.

I never did show you my book of dead scorpions. I used it as a form of therapy.

Jennifer said...

I have never seen a scorpion. But given my history of screams and tears when I see a bug I can't tell you how I would freak out at the sight of a scorpion!

I got shivers just thinking about them

The Merry Widow said...

OMG. I think I would just out about pass out and die if I found a scorpion in my house. I already freak out when spiders or roaches creep in. And as you know, everything is bigger in Texas, so of course the biggest bugs just have to come to my house and prove it. Blah!

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for how much you hated bugs & such as a kid. You would scream bloody murder whenever you found one in the house! I'm glad that you have gotten past that and can now mobilize yourself to kill the pests. I have to admit that I would not like to find a scorpion either, especially with little ones around.
Mom