Thursday, June 09, 2005

It would have made a really funny movie

Oh the chaos of today! Would have loved to have captured it on film so I could watch it and laugh my ass off later over a cold beer.
Here's how it went down:
We set up a little pool in the yard, so I thought we'd invite a few of Sophie's little friends over to play. They could swim in the pool, play in the sandbox, we could order some lunch, and us moms could chit chat. No big deal. Sounds like a nice little morning.
WRONG! If only my daughter were a little more easy going and didn't have such a humangous problem with sharing her toys...
the pool was fun for everyone, the sandbox and swingset was good too. But come 11:30ish, it all went downhill. Hungry and tired kids (a great mix for some serious crying). We went inside to feed some of the little kids and dry off, change clothes. But poor Sophie had to be on the lookout if ANYONE were to touch and play with her toys. With 3 other kids that was a lot of work for her to keep up with! So dare anyone get one of her toys- "WAHHHHHH!...Mine, mine mine!...It's not yours, it's Sophie's!..." ok.
Then no one could sit in the chairs. The chairs were either Sophie's, Mommy's, or Daddy's. Certainly not our friends that came over to play and eat. And Ina's sandals. Don't know what the deal was with that, but Sophie wanted to carry them around and if Ina wanted them back- NOOO! WAHHHHH!!. And she wanted Mommy to hold her and make it all better. Except Holden would cry if I set him down, so I couldn't hold the two of them very well.
About this time, my cleaning ladies showed up. I had to drag the dogs downstairs into the garage. While I was doing this the doorbell rang and our food had arrived. I was getting the money out to pay him and then my phone started ringing, meanwhile the background noise is crying children, and one screaming child (mine). Then Holden started rooting around and crying because he was hungry too. I'm not kidding all of this happened at once! It was too funny.
So now I'm nursing Holden, standing up eating my food, trying to calm Sophie down, getting drinks for everyone and thinking how a morning that seemed so simple in planning turned out to be a lot more than that!
We laughed about it of course and said we should definitely do this again.
Oh yeah and then our inside cat, Archie, escaped and ran into the woods as they were leaving. We tried to capture him. No luck.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Have you been able to capture Archie yet? This post made me laugh!! I'm going to have to send my sister the link so she can see what she's in for when baby Reese arrives...

Mama Duck said...

Gee, sounds like we missed a fun playtime! Toddlers are fun.

Today at playgroup Grace got Sophieitis (the inability to share)and wouldn't give the hostess back her doll when we were ready to leave. I had to yank it out of her hands after many failed attempts to get her to hand it over.

Drinks anyone?!?! :)