Wednesday, June 29, 2005

She's too smart I tell ya

We were at the library for our weekly Monday afternoon of killing time and keeping Sophie entertained. Oh I mean we were there reading and checking out books to enrich my child's mind. Yep, that's it.
So anyway it was time to leave. She never wants to leave. I kept reminding her that in a few minutes we were going to go home (trying to avoid a big tantrum at the surprise of having to leave). And then I say "Sophie it's time to go home."
"No." (big surprise there)
"We have to go home so we can cook dinner and see Daddy."
"No."
"Ok, I'm leaving."
I walk away out of sight and watch her behind the bookshelf. She looks up and says matter of factly "She not leave me."
What?!?! She's totally supposed to fall for that for at least another year. She's not even two yet- how does she know I'm not really going to leave her?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried giving Sophie a sticker when she makes a good choice? Or maybe a teddy bear cookie, or some other small thing? Come on, get back in the teacher mode (and out of the mom mode) and think about what you would do if this was a kid in your classroom! Yeah, I know you would send him/her home at 3:30, but what would you do with him/her during the day? You can deal with Sophie if you can deal with a classroom full of children.

As for how did she know you wouldn't really leave her? She loves you unconditionally, just because you are her mom. She trusts you that you will take care of her. Besides all that, didn't I tell you that your pediatrician told me that by age 2, children have a PhD in dealing with their parents?
Mom

-E said...

My GOD your mom is smart!!

Okay, I'd be ticked if *my* mom told me the exact same thing, but coming from your mom it's brilliant!

-e

Jen said...

awww!
Funny thing about having only sons...I see totaly attitude in every little girl I see. Not in a BAD way mind you, but even in you telling that story I pictured her hand on her hip telling whom ever she was talking to how it really is! ;)
She is a beautiful smart (lucky) little girl! She knows her mommy loves her so!

Jennifer said...

Great suggestion from your mom. Sticker cookies. Rewards are alway a plus!