Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Day 1

I've decide to *cringe* try the faithful ole "crying it out" method with Holden.
Results from Day 1: first nap with the babysitter, 2nd nap- screamed and cried for one hour straight but finally fell asleep for 45 minutes, 3rd nap- screamed and cried for one hour 15 minutes then I went in to feed him since I knew he wasn't going to give up and he was hungry by then, he fell asleep in my arms, I laid him down and he cried for another 45 minutes...this is going well so far dontcha think?...Daddy finally picked him up and he didn't sleep again till bedtime.
We have established a good bedtime routine and he falls asleep easily after I nurse him.

We'll go for round two tomorrow.

I already feel like a lousy mother and it is VERY HARD to listen to your baby scream for an hour! I just keep telling myself this will be better in the long run. He should cry less and less each day over the next few weeks.
I hope I'm going in the right direction here. Please let me know if any of you have tried this method and tell me it works!!
And thanks for all the advice so far.

BTW, evidence I am stressed out and have lost my mind: I forgot to change Sophie's diaper THE ENTIRE DAY. I didn't realize this until she had pee leaking out the back pockets of her shorts around 4pm.
OOOOOOPPPSS! Well, it didn't kill her. And dang those Pampers can hold a lot of pee!
I'll try better tomorrow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe try keeping him awake for longer periods during the day. At his age isn't maybe just a morning nap and an afternoon nap enough???
Keep naps to his bed, where's its quiet and no distractions from his big sister.
Your next task will be to keep daddy from picking him up.
But it does sound like mommy is doing great with it...it'll take time and your NOT a lousy mother.

Mama Duck said...

Yup, we've had days where The Duckling has what we refer to as a "Five Pounder" by the end of the day. OOOOPPS!

Nope, you're not a bad mommy. I know it feels that way as he's screaming his little lungs out, but I promise, he won't remember a thing (do you remember being four months old?) and he'll thank you as a teenager when he perfects the ability to sleep in late on weekend mornings!

Kat said...

Hey girl! Hang in there!!! I have been so concerned for you knowing that things are so stressful for you right now. Here's a link to a site that lists lots of different tips to getting a baby to sleep and stay asleep
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070300.asp
Kind of in line with some of the things they mention - I have been scouring the internet for ideas and I have read several things about babies not knowing how to go back to sleep when they wake up and some get conditioned to needing to nurse or other things and to try to have different ways of putting the baby to sleep... also, I know that the lavendar soothing bath wash in conjunction with a pre-bedtime warm bath always seemed to send Ryan right off to sleep... As for Sophie, be comforted in the fact that you not changing her diaper all day probably won't be a memory that will be recorded in her mind so you're safe from that popping up in her memoirs years from now. :) You're a great mother and you'll get through this!!!! Just hang in there! :)

Anonymous said...

I, too, am concerned about your stress level. Since I can't be there to help you right now, you will have to work something out. I know it is very hard to hear Holden scream and cry for so long! You had to do the "cry it out" routine with Sophia too and you all survived that. I think that you turned on some loud music during those crying times. Maybe you and Soph can sing and dance or watch a video for a while to try to ease your pain. Of course, being the good mom that I know you are, you will still be listening to Holden to make sure that he is okay. Love, Mom

c said...

Hey, I think you're experiencing success because he isn't puking during the crying.

That's when I knew CIO wasn't going to work for my son.

Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Oh poor girl. I don't know how old your wee one is but I did quite a bit of CIO with mine and it worked like a charm. He finally learned to LOVE his crib and he is the worlds best napper/sleeper now. I did have to nurse him to sleep alot in the first couple months, and I don't think I ever could stand to let him cry more than about 30 minutes. I read lots of books about teaching him to fall asleep on his own. At first I thought it would never happen, but it DID! Man am I grateful. My favorite baby book is On Becoming Babywise. A little controversial but taken with a grain of salt, the scheduling was my sanity. Good luck!