Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Has it been 5 months already since I squeezed him out my hoo-ha?

Yes it has been five months! Funny how I remember those labor pains oh-so vividly like it was yesterday.

Happy Birthday to Holden!

Let me tell you what my 5 month old likes to do now (besides keep us up at night).
He likes to roll around on the floor and chew on his toys. He smiles when the toys squeak! He laughs when you lift him up high or tickle him. He can coo and talk and blow raspberries.
His favorite person is Mommy. He cries if she's in the room and not holding him. (how dare her!)
He likes when big sister Sophie plays with him and reads him stories.
He eats baby cereal now and thinks it's yummy!

Progress on sleepy time:
I gave up on the crying-it-out method after two days. It sucked and was really increasing my anxiety level. And it only worked 1 out of the 7 naps I tried! He would just keep crying, one and a half hours with no end in sight...I mean how long are you supposed to let them go for?
Anyway, I feel like a better mom now. I've established a better naptime routine and have really been cuing in on when he is tired and ready to go down. Since it's been raining the last few days we've been staying at home which makes it easier for us at naptimes.
He still does not know how to fall asleep on his own. And the longest stretch he sleeps at night is 3-4 hours. So we still have a ways to go...
But I've just started reading this book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby and I'm hoping we can make some progress soon.

Baby steps towards a full night's sleep!

9 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Good, OK...look up what it says about a toddler who only naps for ONE HOUR A DAY. How do I fix this?

Happy birthday Holden!!! Wish we were there to see you reach this milestone!

Kat said...

Happy Brithday Holden!!!

Glad to hear that you are getting some sleep and that things are coming along in that department, even if it is slowly. :D

Christie E. Little said...

Happy Birthday Holden! Just think of it like this, you're so close to the sleep through. I don't think the crying it out thing works, either. I still have a 6 year old who likes to come in and sleep next to me on the floor.

Your babies are precious! Enjoy the baby time. It just goes so fast.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

hAPPY 5 MONTHS HOLDEN...WOO HOO.

That is so funny I have never ever heard anyone else call it a hoo-ha. I have called it that my whole life.

Beth said...

I'm glad he's starting to nap better. My kids didn't fall asleep on their own untill they were much older, and honestly I didn't really mind it. It was nice to have an excuse to snuggle.

Peanutt said...

Enjoy the naps for soon enough the naps will be none!!!!
And I laugh whenever someone says Hoohah! LOL.

Anonymous said...

I actually don't usually call it a "hoo-ha", but my other words were not quite appropriate for this PG blog.

Cara said...

That's funny - I call it a hoo-haa too! :) You have adorable kids!

Anonymous said...

I am a friend of Carrie's and couldn't help but read the blog on hoo-ha ( I call it hoo-hoo!!) I have a 6 month old and to get him to sleep on his own took some work, but I did it!!! I trick him . . . I lay next to him, and pretend to go to sleep (on most occasions I don't pretend, and accidentally fall asleep!) but after a few minutes, he will have laid his head down and closed his big brown eyes, and fallen asleep! I like many many mothers out there, just don't think I could manage the crying technique . . . my baby crying for me, is just not something I can handle. I have read that if you stick to your guns with the crying way, and really do it, it works in just a matter of 2 days or so.