Saturday, September 24, 2005

Daddy's Birthday

We have been planning Dwayne/Daddy's birthday for the past week.
It is hard for a 2 year old to keep a secret.
2 year old
Mommy went to the paint-your-own-pottery place and picked out a nice little plate for Daddy. I painted it, wrote "daddy" in the middle, and planned on returning with the kids to put their little fingerprints all around the edge.
A few days later I was taking them back to the pottery place. I told Sophie we were going to the pottery place to paint a plate for Daddy's birthday.
She heard that we were going to Daddy's birthday party.
I tried explaining again what we were going to do.
And she got very excited that we were going to Daddy's birthday party.
You can imagine Sophie's disappointment when we got to the pottery place. She looks around with a confused look on her face, turns to me and asks "Where's Daddy?"
So I went through the explanation yet again that we were there to paint the plate for Daddy's bithday. After she realized she would get to stick her hands in some paint she was happy again.
daddy plate
But she couldn't quite keep her mouth shut about the plate. Luckily Dwayne was only half listening and didn't clue in when Sophie asked him about his plate a few times.

We also went shopping for items needed to make his birthday cake. Sophie picked out the kind of cake, icing, candles, wrapping paper, and a big bow for his present! Holden didn't really care what we got. I did ask him though so he could be a part of the whole birthday thing. All I got out of him was "bwdah, bwdah, bwdah." I figured he was agreeing with Sophie's choices.
I had wanted everything to be a surprise for Dwayne on Friday. But knowing we still had 2 more days to go and I figured Sophie would surely spill the beans. She did. That night she told Daddy about the cake. Oh well, I tried.
And Sophie was very concerned about this cake. She really wanted the cake to be for her. After I told her again it was a cake for Daddy's birthday she said "For Sophie's birthday too!"
"This time it's Daddy's birthday, but he will share the cake with us."
That seemed to appease her, and then that's all I heard about... "Daddy will share his cake with Sophie."
bday cake
We baked and decorated his cake, wrapped his present, and signed his cards. Then we anxiously awaited his arrival home.
When he walked in we showered him with hugs, kisses, and "happy birthday"s.
We enjoyed a nice meal at home, sang "Happy Birthday" and brought out the cake afterwards. It took about 5 minutes to light all the candles and I was sure the smoke alarm was going to go off when Dwayne blew them out!
blow out the candles
But he sure loved his present and homemade cake!
And Sophie was very relieved when Daddy shared a piece with her.

P.S. This is what Daddy's plate was for.
using his plate

11 comments:

Mama Duck said...

Wow, a homemade cake!

Who knew you were so domestic!?!? ;)

Love the plate!

-E said...

What a great idea for Daddy! I'll have to whip one up for Papa who leaves his shit just about everywhere.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful birthday! I wish I could have been there!!
Love, Mom

Spikey1 said...

My birthday is coming soon (hint, hint). Happy Birthday Daddy.

Love Mr. Legs ;)

Kat said...

Happy Birthday Dwayne!!! A homemade cake?? What a treat! That plate is adorable and it's too cute about Sophie being worried about getting to have any cake. :D

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy birthday to Daddy.

Lucky guy! Glad he shared his cake with Sophie it might have been hairy if he didnt.

Love the plate what a great idea!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I love Sophie and Holden's Daddy...he is my baby!!! Love you all.

Peanutt said...

Thats a nice plate! And the cake I'm sure was yummy!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great idea. Hope you don't mind I steal the idea. The cake and plate look great. Happy B-Day to Dwayne!

Nap Queen said...

That is such a cute plate! And every dad needs a place for his "stuff".

Anonymous said...

Ahh Dwayne, I remember well the day you were born and your mom and dad were so excited at your arrival. You were a really cutie pie and your two little darlings are every bit as sweet as you were. Happy Happy. Love Jackie and all the McVeigh's in Toronto.