Saturday, June 10, 2006

Dwayne and I were outside enjoying the evening, chatting away when we hear loud frantic screaming at the back door.
It was Sophie who was supposedly asleep upstairs, but is now downstairs and in hysterics because HER TEETH WEREN’T CLEAN ENOUGH! AND SHE NEEDED TO BRUSH THEM AGAIN!!!

WTF!?!?
She reeks of Dora bubblegum toothpaste and is literally foaming at the mouth as she’s obviously been trying to brush them with the entire tube!!
Ok Dwayne, I’ll let you go take care of that…

Two minutes later, Dwayne calls, “Jackie. Jackie.”
“Yes?”
“We need your help. Come up here.” And adds, “Don’t get mad…”
Thinking carefully I ask, “Should I bring my camera?”
“Yes.”

Expecting the worst, I creep up the stairs with Nik in hand and just before my battery died I was able to capture this photo...

the modern art of makeup

The scene I arrived upon was Sophie’s own modern art makeup party...
A masterpiece of liquid makeup across the mirror, counters, rugs, floor, tissue box, picture frame, and all down her clothes.
My make-up drawers were completely rearranged to Sophie’s liking,
The big fluffy powder brush had been used as a paintbrush as well as her hands,
And all I could do was I laugh and laugh!

She was so proud of her work and that just made me laugh more.
She stood there running dental floss across her teeth, smiling and shouting "Mommy I painted for you!"


...But now I'm wondering if we need to install a lock on the outside of her door.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH, MY!! It's a good thing that you could laugh about the whole scene. It really is very touching that Sophie painted for you..... But did she really? Or is she smart enough to know that she made a huge mess and you might get mad? So, knowing that she could melt your heart, she just said that she painted it for you? It makes me wonder. Nevertheless, that's quite a picture and story!

Candy said...

Oh dear... now much make up did you lose to the project in total? LOL... I hear a shopping trip in your future... what a riot...

Candy, who keeps her makeup in a makeup bag on top of a hutch because her kids think they are "artists" too.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh my that is a mess!

Rhonda said...

OMG! I would have laughed too (and cried). It is Clinque Bonus Time at Nordstroms...maybe it is time to restock?

Kami said...

I love stuff that starts with "Don't get mad..."

Nap Queen said...

Holy. Crap. What a mess. I like the look on D's face in the photo. I am so glad you guys were able to laugh!!!

Lori said...

That is so cute!

Don't worry in a few short years she'll just be 'borrowing' your makeup. "Mommy I figure if it's in your bathroom it's fair game"

WTF?

Leska McCall said...

OH NO!

Don't you love impromptu art?

I somehow have my kids convinced that they are not allowed to come out of their room after sleeping. I know it won't last forever, but I love it so far!

Anonymous said...

Too funny. We call kids like that "Little Picassos". With my youngest we actually had to PADLOCK places we didn't want her in.

Dwayne sounds like a great dad.

Kari said...

WOW!

Unknown said...

That's fabulous.

Absolutely fabulous.

Better at your house than mine.

Jennifer said...

I just had this same thing happen with me. My child is all about the toothpaste on the mirror, I can't seem to keep it clean!!!!! You are lucky enough to get the entire thing on film!!

Me said...

Keep that camera battery charged! Your 'fun' is just beginning. ;)

PS: It's great to take photos at times like this... I look back on them and LOVE them! Every red lipstick incident, every potted plant on the white carpet, the head stuck in the banister, the Costco sized babypowder alllll over the bedroom, the 2 quarts of red kool-aid all over the floor (by 2 separate kids, 5 years apart!), etc.

YOU WILL LOVE the photos. (and it helps you keep sane at moments like this). ;)

Anonymous said...

Now how cute is that!!!! I think every child has painted something with an unusual substance other than paint ...or should I say face paint? Was it really quite and did you think she was really sleeping? Too many more works of art and I am so glad you thought of bringing the camera to Sophie's gallery of fine art!!!

Kat said...

I'm sorry, but that is about the funniest thing I've seen! :) Look at that sweet expression on her face... so very innocent. :)

Unknown said...

Fantastic that you caught the moment. Lovely! Just lovely!

Laugh away!