Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Selling Myself on the Internet

After a bit of initial job searching, I'm finding that part time work I'd like will not pay enough to cover the costs of childcare.
I'm still looking and putting the word out, but my heart keeps telling me to be a photographer.
I love taking pictures. I've actually starting dreaming through the camera lens. Three mornings in a row I've awoken after a scene where I'm viewing the world in black and white through my camera, hearing the click click click of my finger pressing down on the shutter release as I pan across the scene, zooming in and out, trying to find that perfect picture.

Tomorrow night I'm taking an evening class on how to promote myself as a photographer- which explores different types of photography, portfolios, what to charge, where to send your work, etc.
I'm pysched!!!

Now here's where I sell myself to you-
I need more experience. I need customers.
I'm looking for people living in the Austin area who have something they'd like me to photograph. Your kids, a party, you with your significant other, your car, your boobs ...whatever.
I won't charge you a dime. But I will ask for your feedback in return.
And if you decide you'd like prints after viewing the spread of pictures, I will do that for cost. And I might possibly ask you if I can add pictures to my portfolio for my own advertising.

Know right off that I don't like typical cheesy "JC Penny Portrait" types of photos.
I'm into a more artsy fartsy look.
If you are interested or know someone who is, please email me (email is down on the right sidebar).

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go, girlfriend! You're getting out there and jumping in the pool (something which as of yet I have dared do). Kudos to you and best of luck!

Kat said...

See, I think you should give Dwayne a nice kiss on the cheek on July 1, then drive to the beach for some girl time with Jen and I. There are soooooooo many photo ops down there!!! You could get a whole portfolio in just three days! The beach, the wildlife, the old crap, the locals, the tourist stuff... you could consider it 'work' instead of a mini-vacation... :) Think about it. :)

Bella said...

Good for you! I've been following your blog for a while now, and love your photos, you've got talent! Good luck~

Me said...

The whole part time wages verses childcare cost is exactly why I QUIT working outside the home to stay home with the kids! :)

I was paying out $28 more dollars a week than I was bringing in... and that was utilizing a church sponsored preschool (cheap!).

I looked and prayed for the 'right' job but it took years.

Me said...

Well "IF" you happen to travel to the upper midwest... you can bet I'll let ya take as many photos as you want! LOL.

Christie E. Little said...

If I lived there hunny..I'd be your first customer. I want a slew of black and whites of the kids.

I Hi 5 you on the photography idea.

Just listen to me when I tell you this. Follow your bliss baby.
xoxo
Christie

Tammy said...

Yet another reason I wish I lived in Austin.

I'm sure you'll be great at it!

Nap Queen said...

If I can get my body into just a little better shape, I would love for you to do some tasteful semi-nudes of me for my hubby. I've always wanted to do that for him.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Love the photography idea!

I am thinking about that as well!

Beth said...

Glad you're doing what you feel drawn too, Tried to post last week, but a job just for getting out's sake just becomes one more thing that has to be done. Plus I love you're pictures, and would love to have you take pics of the boys...one more reason I wish we hadn't moved!

Candy said...

You should do whatever makes you feel comfortable and if it's taking pictures, then do it! And if you need subjects, I can lend my kids, they are used to being chased around with a camera... LOL

Marisa said...

Good luck!

If you ever come way up North again, I would love to be a customer.

Fabnormal said...

I WOULD LOVE for you to take some pictures of the baby when she arrives. I hate hate hate to be photographed, but I would let you take pictures of me too, if you like. You can email me molly.segrets@gmail.com

Brooke (CrazyRN) said...

Always listen to your heart...and it this is what it's telling you to do, you won't go wrong.

Childcare fees are insane, that is why I'm stuck working nights for eternity. It sucks, but we have very minimal childcare costs.

You will do awesome with this new adventure! I just know it! Your pictures are great!

Kami said...

YEA!!!! Go, you.

It's so much fun, and so much work getting started. Great idea shooting for free to build up your portfolio. :)

HAVE FUN!!!

Elizabeth said...

Good for you, girl. It takes a lot of guts to go for your dream. I hope it works out for ya, but I'm sure it will. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm a friend of Molly's. I would love to keep you in mind. You can email me your info at monicas1000@hotmail.com. I will keep my ears open if anyone is looking for someone. Good Luck.

Anonymous said...

Go you!

I think it is fantastic that you are persuing this like you are! Just keep at it and you will do great things.

Kat said...

Yoo-hoo... you've been painted. :)

Sheri & SuZan said...

I think you are on the right track, you are truely talented. With that said, why don't you come for a weekend to Houston? We can keep you busy ((wink)).

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I love you, you go girl, you can do it I just know you can. Pics are wonderful and good to see one on Henny Love
C