Saturday, April 08, 2006

Transformation

It goes without saying that kids are constantly growing and changing.
Over the last few weeks, each of the Lummin’s have undergone a transformation that has noticeably changed their personalities.

balls

Holden’s transformation has not been the source of celebration.
He’s become a bit of a sour apple.
Whereas he used to be the happy-go-lucky boy who would smile and reach out to everyone, he now clings and hides his face when strangers approach. While he did amuse us with his silly antics, he now frustrates and irritates us, me.
Before: he’d amaze us with his talent of shoveling food into his mouth faster than we could give it to him. Now: he begins screaming SCREAMING and demanding the food before we’ve barely set foot into the kitchen. Pitching a wild fit while I hastily make his food, and then thanks me by throwing it all on the floor! And wildly flailing his arms and screeching some more!
He used to amuse us with his silly antics.
He now throws drop-down, drama-queen temper tantrums! If you do not give him the exact thing he wants at the exact time (and I am forever trying to figure out what that exact thing is), he revolts. Hollering and carrying on as if we’d cut off his pinky finger, working up a sweat, using his entire 25 pound brute strength to overpower me. (God what am I going to do when he turns 15?)
The simple tasks of changing his diaper, getting dressed or undressed, cutting fingernails, or strapping him into the carseat have become strenuous workouts. It’s a matter of holding him down and tolerating the screaming while trying to maintain my composure.

sour

I call him a sour apple because he makes my mouth pucker and swallow down the curse words I want to shout at him. He makes my brain pucker from all the mental energy I use for ignoring and tolerating the many many tantrums.


Sophie’s transformation has been much more delightful.
If I had to narrow it down and find exact words for what she’s become, I’d say she has become a child, a real human being who thinks for herself.
I know that sounds weird. But that’s what it is.

eating breakfast

She’s now capable of her own thoughts and decisions. You can talk and reason with her. She will take an idea, swirl it around in her brain and ponder until she can articulate exactly what she means.
She’s no longer the toddler that just says and repeats words. You cannot get away with trying to trick or cajole her into something.
She constantly asks why. CONSTANTLY. She wants to know the reason behind everything. And while I find her need for learning about the world amazing, it does become tedious and annoying having to explain the reason for every single thing I do.
She has morphed into an independent little girl.
She chooses what she wants to wear and what music she wants to listen to. She amazes me with her original songs and nonsense words.
And boy can she manipulate. Excuses, excuses for everything…stalling tactics…creative ways to get what she wants without directly asking…

the look

Other random tidbits:
  • Holden can stand up by himself and will walk around holding on to furniture. We are anxiuosly awaiting the day he takes his first steps. But for now, he prefers to do the speedy butt-scoot to get around.
  • Sophie now sleeps in a big girl bed. Being so independent, she adores that she can now get out of bed all by herself and dance around the room instead of taking a nap.
  • You can click on the photos or my Flickr badge to view many other Lummin photos on my Flickr page.
  • New poll up over to your right! Go vote.

16 comments:

Me said...

That picture of Holden screaming = birth control. LOL.

Thank You! Hee hee hee

Rhonda said...

Good thing they are cute, huh? (We say that a lot around here too.) Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Even after all the screaming and yelling....we still love them. Sophie's face cracks me up.

Anonymous said...

Kids are constantly changing like that. It seems to occur about every 6 months or so.

The pictures are great! The one of Holden screaming reminds me a lot of Sophie when she has done that. I love the picture of Holden reading. Sophie looks so cute in her big bed! But my very favortite picture is the one of Sophie giving "the look". That is priceless!

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in a few days!

Christie E. Little said...

Oh welcome Oh welcome Oh welcome to my lovely world of tantrums! LOL. Ava (middle) would take her whole self and just plop on the floor and let it out. My Dr. Calm told me to just walk over her. LOL. How about that? Just walk over her..lol. Classic advice, I must say. Sammy Boy... asks Why or questions I answer and he says "more more more...come on!" Ms. Ocd Tidy and Clean...I hear ya..loud and clear.

Oooooh but get this. Here's something for you to look forward to. All my little ones...(11, 7, and 5) put their laundry away, make their beds, and the two older ones can vacuum! How about that? :)
xoxo
c

Unknown said...

I had personality changes. And tantrums. I know them well.

Leska McCall said...

I love, love, love the screaming boy pic!
And the sepia photo of S. is so beautiful.

One of the greatest things the first child taught me was that THIS (hell, heaven, tantrum, cuteness, etc.) doesn't last forever....they are always changing.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes...ages and stages..I don't think Dwayne asked why????? about everything until he was 3 ...I new Sophie was a genious...way ahead for her age!!! Holden has now taken on a bit of what we witnessed with Sophie at that gae...well guess what it just gets better and Sophie is proof of that!!! Love you all and have fun with Grammy while she visits!!!

Melanie said...

I think our boys must be twins. But I will say that the stranger anxiety didn't last long here. He's over it now and he's 15 months. Good luck.

She is so beautiful!!

Kami said...

I love her look in that last photo. Hmmm, my kid is almost 4, and he still does that shit.

Nap Queen said...

Your kids are adorable, and Sophie is just beautiful. She looks like a angel. Sorry about Holden being a little stinker. I'm sure it's a phase he will grow out of. And I agree with Meritt...the Holden screaming photo does = birth control :)

Sheri & SuZan said...

I love the picture of Holden screaming (thankful I'm past that stage) LOL.

They will be constantly changing as they grow and his antics are his way of communicating. Rule of thumb is that as language improves, so does behavior.

Just hang in there.

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you. Daiper Changing is like an Olympic sport around here...it requires great agility, speed and patience.

I love that shot of Holden screaming!

Kat said...

Aw, that picture of Holden screaming made me crack up. Reese has developed attitude as well as I learned over the weekend. Screaming definitely equals birth control. Yeah for Sophie and her big girl bed! :)

Lori said...

That last pic looks like she's thinking "you think you're going to get me to do WHAT?" So cute. I had to laugh at the crying face. Sorry.

Unknown said...

Your kids are beautiful. I love all the pictures and reading about how others deal with the everyday trials of raising kids.