Thursday, January 19, 2006

Eyes on Nature

Besides the fact that we're in some big drought right now here, we've had some absolutely gorgeous weather the last few months.
Beautiful sunny days, warm days for playing outside in your t-shirt, cooler days where you needed a light jacket and could run around without sweating too much. (Never mind the runny noses and sneezing due to high allergy factors.)
Blue Sky

We haven't even really had a winter.
And we've been loving it! Sorry to all you folks that live up North in cold places. I crack up when I talk to you Canadians and Wisconsiners that tell me you've been having fairly good weather...and it's 40 degrees!

Look what I stumbled upon today
the fern

It feels like Spring is just around the corner.

And I got a question for you folks who might know a thing or two about plants.
Can you tell me what this plant is? (C'mon Carrrie C...I know you like to look up shtuff on the internet.)
Fire Plant

See,
Sophie likes to pick these berries and play house, cooking with them in her little playhouse. And I'm just worried one day she or Holden will eat them. And they might start swelling or frothing at the mouth. And then I'll have to call Poison Control and when they ask me what kind of berries they ingested I'll have NO CLUE.
"Uhhhhh, the one with red berries and some green leaves and some yellowish with hints of red."
Oh yeah, thaaaaaat one.

11 comments:

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Damn it is 30 degrees here!

Good thing to be prepared on what the kids might be eating that might be dangerous!

Anonymous said...

Pyracantha...that's the name of that berry bearing plant. (I have no idea, but thought it was a good guess)

Beth said...

I'm sticking my tounge out at you... you just can't see it. We're having wonderful weather, and even getting into the 50's today!

Spikey1 said...

Who needs Texas... It will be 12 degrees here today! Our rinks are melting!

PS. Keep them away from berries!

Anonymous said...

Jackie that new camera and you sure eye is resulting in some fab photos!! Wish I could take you to China with me!!!
On the topic of plants and other mouth size bits, I think Sophie and Holden need to learn to never put something in their mouth without checking with Mommy or Daddy, that would be a start and now yu can laugh!!!

Jen said...

yah, well I bet you can't play THIS game with your kiddos.
Driving down the road seeing who's breath we can see the longest.
Today, I won.
You could see my breath for about 7 minutes.
In.my.car.
That picture is amazing!
I can't wait for spring!

Kami said...

She's just showing off her new camera. Gah.

I don't know about that plant. Go to B&N - look at that Texas plant book - you can't miss it.

Unknown said...

Yup, nice. A sign of spring. It's snowing buckets here tonight.

I'm not moving out when I get there next month. Just warning you far in advance.

Kat said...

It is definitely some type of holly plant, although I don't have time to really research down to the specific type.

Holly berries are generally said to be unsuitable for eating. They can cause vomitting, affect the nervous system and in severe cases cause death.

Did you take Magic, Ritual and Religion in school? Our campus was littered with those red berries and the prof said they were not for eating. Said some Indian tribes used them for ceremonies and 1 of 3 things happened:
1. nothing
2. you got seriously ill and might hallucinate (because you were on the verge of death)
3. You died.

A high number of red berry plants are toxic to humans, which I believe is part of why people were so afraid of tomatoes and the like.

Pretty to look at, but keep the kids away. :)

Leska McCall said...

The berries are on a Nandina plant. And the other is a fiddlehead fern. I used to garden....now I have kids.

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info
» » »