Saturday, January 28, 2006

A slice of freedom

After two days of being held captive in the house with Holden and Sophie, anyone could lose their mind.
Thursday we had to rush to the doctor's office to be there for a squeezed-in 8:50 appointment, only to sit and wait for 40 minutes in the lobby. Turns out Holden's fever and lack of sleep for the last few nights was due to an ear infection. Trekking to the pharmacy and waiting another 45 minutes for the antibiotics was yet another barrel of laughs and fun with the kids in tow.
I was warned that these antibiotics can cause diarrhea. BOY, they were not kidding! I believe I had to change Holden's pants at least 12 times yesterday, myself three times, and had to do laundry twice as we ran out of clean pants for the kid.
I was also warned that the medicine was a bit foul tasting, so I opted for the additional flavoring hoping we might convince Holden to take the medicine.
Nope. No way. He was not fooled.
After three different times of him throwing the medicine back up at us, we have finally devised a plan that seems to get most of the medicine down his throat in one sitting. Mind you, it takes twenty minutes for the whole process to be completed.
You lay on the floor with him and get him to a) laugh or b) cry; then you quickly shove the syringe down the back of his throat and squirt just a little bit while blowing in his face at the same time so his natural reaction is to suck in and swallow. You cannot squirt too much at once though because it will all just run out the side of his mouth and down his neck. Repeat the process many times until all medicine is gone.
You must have a minimum of three paper towels at hand and lots of patience.
However, Holden is catching on to the plan and clamps his lips shut using his tongue as a barricade as soon as he sees that medicine syringe coming.

And we are supposed to endure ten days of this.

For fear of being drenched in liquid poop, we haven't left the house the last two days.
Needless to say I've a bit of cabin fever and was seriously desperate to flee the house.
When Dwayne got home from work yesterday I got to take a shower. A shower. What a luxury!
My friend Lauren and I were going to go out for some food and drinks. So I got dressed, did my hair and makeup, and put on my fabulous new shoes.
I didn't care where we were going, we could have been going to Walmart, but dammit- I was going to wear my new shoes!
When I came downstairs feeling like REAL person and looking all sexy, Sophie looks at me and asks "Where are you going?"
"I'm going out with Lauren."
"But where are you and Lauren going? I want to come!"
"We're going out drinking Sophie. You can't come with us."
"But I want to come... I can bring my milk and drink it!"
Poor girl just didn't get it.

Getting to that slice of freedom...
We headed out to a few restaurant/bars and had a good time. Relaxing. Good food.
I didn't care that when we were at a low-key Mexican restaurant where everyone was in jeans and t-shirts and you had to use paper towels for toilet paper, that I was a tad over-dressed in my sparkly shirt and sparkly three inch heels. I didn't care. I looked good and I was out of the house!

Returning home a few hours later with a nice buzz, we joined Dwayne in one last drink and smoke outside.
Me, being obsessed with my new BAMF shoes, was gloating about how sexy I looked and that Dwayne should take me out somewhere nice so I could wear them again...
"Dwayne, you'll probably have some nice functions to go to at your new job. Will you take me so I can wear my new..."
OOPS! When I went to touch his arm, somehow I knocked the glass of wine right out of his hands and it crashed to the ground.
"...shoes?"
Perfect timing for that question.
I'm sure he'll want to take graceful Jackie out to one of his company functions. But only if I'll make a scene in my new shoes and promise to break at least one glass.

7 comments:

Norman said...

dude. those are some awesome.frickin'.shoes!!

The Egel Nest said...

Just listening to all the medicine and poop stories make parenting sound so difficult..I am sure I will be okay doing it..but sheesh...when a shower is a luxury...life is tough :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Poor holden!

Glad that you were able to go out and wear your sexy new shoes!

Me said...

OH NO about a the wine spilling. Ack! But then again... who cares? You got to wear your new shoes!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey, you're hot, who'll notice you're a klutz when you're shnookered?

Spikey1 said...

Oh I love a hot, klutzy, shnookered woman!

Nap Queen said...

I am so in love with those shoes!!! I'm glad you got to wear them out. They NEED to be worn :)