Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Do you believe in karma?
I totally do.

So I’m wondering, what’s going to happen to me after I did this to the mammoth ant mound?? (a mound that was clearly home to over 3 million fire ants)
fire ants

While out in the yard this past weekend grooming and attending to our fine green friends, I came upon this mound of dirt. I didn’t see any ants and wondered if it was still an active mound. So I gave it little a kick.
It was definitely active!! An ocean of ants came swarming out!!
Seeing that I had already done the damage, I kicked some more. Figuring I might as well kick the whole damn thing down.
As I watched the worker ants scurrying around in a frenzy and all the maggot-like larva that would never become future fire ants, I felt a little bad.
At first I thought they might all team up and come after me, but then I figured I’d be able to outrun them.
Yes, I’m silly.
But that’s when I starting pondering the whole karma thing…
I mean I know fire ants are not the greatest of creatures, in fact they are pretty nasty. It’s not as if they just politely tell you to move if you happen to sit on one. No, they will bite your ass! And it will itch and hurt for days.
But still, they are creatures of the earth. And it’s not nice to just kill animals for no good reason. (ok, besides scorpion).
So is karma going to get me back for this?
I did destroy an entire ant mound. After kicking it all up I went and grabbed the spray can of ant killer. A few ants had already gotten away and made their way up my pants. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! I didn't want them to all gang up on me and finish the job. Or just move a few feet down and rebuild their ant abode. So I finished off as many as I could with the kill spray!

So was my destruction of the ant colony unforgiveable, will I get the grand payback somewhere down the line?
Or do you think I’m justified because they are simply nasty, harmful, evil little pests?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Circle of Life--and besides, I REALLY hate fire ants.

Rhonda said...

Karma works both ways. Perhaps you killing them was the ants' karma for being such nasty little things that bite people and destroys yards.

Either way, I think you did a GOOD THING.

Spikey1 said...

Oh shit.. careful when you go to sleep tonight... check under the pillows and under the blankets! ;)
REDRUM! REDRUM! REDRUM!

PS. Of course The Boy gets his looks from daddy and the brains from mommy. ;)

Michelle said...

I totally agree with tx_mom!!

Kat said...

Well, they were planning to bite your precious children and cute puppies so I think you're justified. Besides, what ecological benefit do they contribute? spiders eat mosquitos at least. I think the Karma police will leave you alone on this one. :)

Oh yeah, go see my newest picture, it's a doozy... :)

Nap Queen said...

Aren't those ants really just serial killers that came back as ants as punishment? :)

Me said...

I'm just glad you finished them off with the bug spray. When I read you smooshed their house and left... I got nervous. For all that did was piss them off! They would for sure gang up and march into your house tonight and crawl up your bedspread and blankets and attack you just like they did to Suzanne Sommers in that one Ant movie from the 70's.

;)

But never mind. You went back and finished the job. God's probably thanking you. He once told me that Fire Ants were a mistake.

Leska McCall said...

They're terrible, and deserved to die!!
But be sure to get some Amdro or pest-free killer to use as back up, because you KNOW they're not really gone...just hiding until you're not looking...

Anonymous said...

I just jumped on route Lum from interstate Kami and I have to say NICE FREAKIN RACK LUM!

Unknown said...

Karma...did you know when you kick the hill and activate it the ants move around and start more colonies?

Anonymous said...

You kill me Jackie, it's a laugh a minute. If it makes you feel better, Tom the Canadian Indian of the North and therefore a hunter by birth is devising great plans to "do in" the racoons who constantly try and eat our KOI. As the snow has finally melted he is patrolling the backyard nightly waiting to take them out.

Jackie

Odd Mix said...

Kill, Kill, KILL! I say spray and then use boiling water for good measure! I have only encountered the fire variety once, but when I was a kid I sat on an anthill once - I have hated them with a hate bordering on obsession ever since.

Melanie said...

I hope it's not bad karma b/c when I was little I did my fair share of destoying those mounds.

Memphis said...

I love "My Name is Earl" as much as anyone, but he's just wrong about that whole karma thing. No one ever suffers for doing evil things. They just get promoted, elected, or their own TV show. So kick away at the fire ants. Be like your own personal Hurricane Katrina to their New Orleans. It's all good. Nothing will happen as long as you don't do it while you're drunk and then pass out on the mound in mid-kick.