Saturday, March 25, 2006

Remember Bud and Sissy?
Their Sweet Baby Girl (SBG) was born prematurely with a rare and critical condition that causes fluid to build up in her lungs and head. That’s the short version.
SBG is six weeks old now. She is strong and has a will to survive!

SBG

Sissy sent me this picture. I cried when I first looked. And still do.
This picture evokes many strong emotions and speaks a thousand words to me…

I can see so much love in Sissy’s kiss. I can see pain and hurt in her face. I see her fear that her baby girl might not make it. I see her hope with everyday that passes that her baby will survive. I see her unspoken words: don’t give up baby girl... you are my love... I’m here for you... I know you’re going to make it…

I see a fragile baby with a look in her eyes that says she’s scared and helpless. She needs her Mommy. She needs her family’s love and tenderness.
Her life has been a constant whirlwind of tests, tubes, needles, doctors, nurses, pokes and prods. She doesn’t understand, but she can feel.

You just want to pick up her tiny, tiny body and hold her next to you.
You want to take away all her pain and place it upon yourself.
You pray and you cry.

Everyday is a battle for SBG. The last time I spoke with Sissy she told me they almost lost their baby girl a day before. They were down to doing chest compressions. I can barely even write that sentence without breaking down and sobbing my eyes out for them.

Their lives have become accustomed to a world I cannot even imagine.
The daily hospital visits, the waiting, crying hoping and praying.
The unknown and unpredictability of their daughter’s condition, where her circumstances change with each day and each moment. Holding their breaths.
Putting their lives on hold. Living in automatic mode.
They also have a two year old son to care for and try to keep his world as normal as possible.

You never expect these things to happen to you. But they do happen to us.
And it puts your whole world into an entire new perspective.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Bud, Sissy, and SBG. I have saved two pieces of cake from SBG’s baby shower, the day she was born, and I’m saving them in my freezer as good luck charms. When SBG comes home from the hospital we will bring them to them and celebrate her life!
I know that the day will come. I can only hope it will come soon.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love stories like this one...
Everything will be fine. There is no other option.

xxx

Unknown said...

That is the sweetest picture. It made me cry thinking if C was in that situation. I will keep them in my prayers. Way to go little one!

Anonymous said...

You've got me crying, too! You certainly have the gift of writing. Your words were a perfect match with the picture. I'll keep Bud, Sissy, & SBG in my prayers.

Unknown said...

My best wishes go to this family at this difficult time in their lives. May God be with them and protect this child.

Unknown said...

That picture is just beautiful...

Melanie said...

That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I'm so glad they have you there to support them. Prayers coming their way.

Elizabeth said...

Oh man, that picture made me cry. I really don't know how parents deal with that sort of stuff. My prayers are with all of y'all.

Misti said...

That baby is so cute. My thoughts are with them.

Lori said...

I've oftentimes wondered about parents who have preemies or other kids who have issues before they're born. It makes the usual stuff seem so mundane.

I've been truly blessed that all 3 of my kids have been healthy at birth. I will definitely keep them in my thoughts.

Seeing those pictures of such a small life can make us all thankfull for what we have and also wish the best upon that child and its parents.

Sheri & SuZan said...

What a tender photo and story, thank you for sharing. I'll keep SBG and her family in my prayers.

Marisa said...

I found you via Spikey...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. My girl was delivered 6 weeks early and healthy as a little lamb. It always broke my heart to see some of the other babes in NICU with all the wires and tubes.

You friends are lucky to have you in their corner. SBG will make it thru...girls in NICO have a wonderful track record. :-)

Kami said...

Poor, sweet, little baby. So sad.

Sending healing vibes their way...

Kat said...

That is the most beautiful picture! Your post made me cry. I can't imagine what it's like to go through that. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers and I know things will work out for the best!!!

Tammy said...

OMG. I absolutely cannot imagine what Sissy is going through. Bless her and her precious baby girl. I'm praying that she gets well and goes home soon!

Michelle said...

What a sweet touching story and a beautiful baby girl. The strength of a mother is truly amazing.

Many continued thoughts and prayers for SBG and her family

Jen said...

I have goosebumps all over from reading that.
I pray she makes it through. I pray for her family.
It is so unfair!

Jen said...

I have goosebumps all over from reading that.
I pray she makes it through. I pray for her family.
It is so unfair!

Stacie Wagner said...

What a beautiful picture. Our prayers are with everyone in their family. Your thoughts are so sweet, they should make anyone cry.

Random and Odd said...

fantastic picture and post!

wow.

I'm praying!!

Robyn said...

oh I cried before i even read the post! and then I cried a little more.

Anonymous said...

1000 words. 1000 prayers.

Williams Brother

Anonymous said...

Incrediable post! My prayers and thoughts go to all involved. I am glad you are there to support Bud and Sissy and SBG. ~ Marsha

Unknown said...

Both my kiddos were preemies. BG was 2 lbs/13 oz and fine but tiny. BB was 2 lbs./2 oz and had a 3 1/2 mt. NICU stay with serious breathing issues and came home on oxygen/feeding tube and 24 hr. breathing treatments. It was the hardest time of my life. Serious automode since I also had a toddler at home.

Girls are stronger and do better, faster. Boys take their sweet ass time.

I know that baby will be great. During my NICU visits, I just wanted someone to bring me food/drink to keep up my pumping. I hope she is pumping. Just having some company during the shift change was awesome.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »