Monday, February 06, 2006

The shower that wasn't

We were having a baby shower for our friends this Sunday. Let's call them Bud and Sissy because I don't know if they want their names published on the internet and well, I just love those names! You know, from Urban Cowboy.
So this was a shower for their second baby, a girl this time. An absolutely lovely afternoon shower was planned with yummy snacks, the best cake in Austin (Lucy's), lots of booze, and good friends.
We got a call that morning. Sissy was at the hospital in labor!
Her baby was not due for another 2 months. They were trying to stop her labor.
So we waited to see what would happen.
Unfortunately they did have to have the baby via C-section because Sissy's placenta detached. The fragile little girl was born with fluid in her lungs and around her head; the doctors told Bud & Sissy to be prepared that their baby might not make it.
My heart dropped when they told us that. I began to cry just imagining what that must feel like. The feeling that your baby may only live for a few hours. The feeling of not knowing. I think the worst must be the feeling of complete helplessness. There is not a damn thing you can do except sit and wait. That is the hardest thing.
I felt unsure of what the right thing to say is in this situation besides how sorry we are.
To try and make light of things, I told them we were going to eat their cake without them, but I'd save a big piece of it for them when they're ready. And BEER! Oh yes, I'll bring some beer for you too. So Bud laughed and said "thank you Jackie."
If only we could do something else for them.

We had a baby shower planned, so we decided to carry on with the party anyway minus the guests of honor.
Aside from the somberness in our hearts, we had quite an enjoyable time!
How can you have a bad time with beer, the best cake in Austin, and spinach-artichoke yummy munchies??
Exactly.
(Click here for a slideshow of pics from the party.)

And there's been no news since. The baby is hanging in there for now and I just hope hope hope for them that everything turns out well.
I have baby gifts, cake, and beer for Bud and Sissy when they are ready.

10 comments:

Kami said...

OMG! How very scary. That precious tiny baby will be in my thoughts.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

That's sucky.

The good news is that lots of babies born at two months premature make it.

I'll be thinking about that precious girl.

Nap Queen said...

I'll keep them in my thoughts. I just had a friend who had an emergency c-section 2 months early. Their baby only weighed 2.6 (?) pounds, but she is doing okay, and gaining weight everyday.

Kat said...

Oh how terrible! I hope everything works out okay!!!!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Youve been nominated for Blogger in the Spotlight! Please check your email!

Me said...

Oh my! I guess she really wanted to come to her own party! ;)

Spikey1 said...

Holy shit... this just freaked me out and we have 3 months to go! Hope all is okay... damn.

Beth said...

How scary for them. They'll be in my thoughts.

Christie E. Little said...

You just tell your friends that my 31 week preemie with 17 surgeries done...is now 5' tall and doing making me crazy. (don't really tell them they don't care)

Just give them lots of TLC. They need it.
xoxo
C