Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Shoe Whores

I just might be becoming one of those people.
A Shoe Person.
Not that it's a bad thing...
But if you start becoming a shoe person and your husband already is, then you of course have to be for your children as well. And then you just become a Shoe Family.
This past weekend Sophie wanted these gorgeous pink shoes. And neither her mother nor father could deny her.

gorgeous pink shoes

They were on sale for $39.99. Yeah, some sale.
But Sophie tries them on and says she loves them!
When asked how they feel she jumps and exclaims "I can hop good in them!"
And she won't take them off.
And I keep waiting for Dwayne to say no. yeah right.
And who am I to say no when I looked down and saw the beautiful silver words Nina inside the shoe?
Nina
Nina! just like the shoes I splurged on for myself recently.

Nina kids
So cute! She has great taste and I'm sure she's making her Shoe Oma very proud!

One hundred fifty dollars and 3 pairs of kids shoes later, I felt sick to my stomach. How can it be that we just spent the same amount of money on Holden's itty bitty shoes as we do for my own? (excluding my aforementioned Nina shoes of course)
At this rate the Lummins future college tuition will be spent on fabulous shoes for our Shoe Family.

In my shoe whore defense, the Lummins both have wide feet with very tall insteps. Back to the first pair of shoes bought, none of the cheap ones would fit properly. Target didn't carry wides, Payless shoes weren't tall enough, the baby Reeboks and Nikes left horrible red indentations after walking around the store in them, Foley's didn't carry her size, etc. etc.
I scoured every cheap shoe store in the entire mall and a few others outside before I came to the realization that we might have to try the Stride Rites or other expensive brands that I laughed at my friends for spending so much money on and vowed to never pay that much for.
Yeah well.

19 comments:

Kat said...

You can't deny the shoes. Give in to the power of the pinkness. At least she has good taste. :)

I've always been amazed at what baby/kid shoes cost considering they're going to outgrow them in a matter of months. :)

Lori said...

Those are adorable! I think the most I've paid for B's shoes is $25 for Converse. But the girls more than make up for him. As they should, being girls and all.

Trisha said...

Those are beautiful, I have a shoe problem too. My little one (not so little anymore) just started to notice how a shoe can make an outfit which means we now have two girls with two shoe problems!

Unknown said...

I've never paid more that 15 bucks for any shoe! My, my. They are adorable.

Lori said...

Adorable! We seem to have a shoe problem too. My daughter actually owns a pair of $50 kenneth cole reaction mini heels, and she is 3! Of course,I did not buy them, my mother, the sucker did. You guys have good taste!

Unknown said...

You'll feel even better when she grows out of them in a couple of months :) They are adorable, though!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

There is nothing wrong with a fashionable shoe...enough said!

Way to go Sophie and the power of the wonderful color pink!

Unknown said...

You are a much better mom than I am, but then again, we haven't shoe shopped since The Duckling could talk...I may be in trouble.

As you said, how can you deny the girl of shoes that make her jump higher? (sigh)

Anonymous said...

This is NOT the same person that I know! I am proud of you for splurging, it is good for the soul.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Yes I said Trader Joes! I love that place it is the best!

But I would trade it anyday for a place like Garden Ridge! Now that place is a decorating haven I so wish we had one here. I did come to find out there is one in VA about 20 minutes from my sisters...woo hoo!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Never say never because it will come back and bite you in the ass! I am not looking forward to the day when they come and bite me because I said never quite often!

Stacie Wagner said...

You are not the only one - Sam just got splugged on his little ExtraWide foot - 2 pairs - $88.00!!! We are right there with ya baby!!

Steph said...

Those are cute shoes ! REALLY REALLY CUTE SHOES !! I splurge on good kid shoes too.

Unknown said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!. Stride rite all the way. I love those shoes.

We are in the same boat and SR is all his little foot fits into.

Why couldn't SR make adult shoes. I would be in trouble because they look so comfy.

Sheri & SuZan said...

Great shoes! A girl after my own heart!

The Egel Nest said...

"I can hop good in them!"

Is that tooo cute or what??

OMG :)

So cute!

Bradley
The Egel Nest

Anonymous said...

Well Oma thinks it is Aok to have fancy pink shoes and at price!!! Sophie your great grandmother alwasy said you must look after your feet..that meant good shoes made of quality materials that would wear well and good shoes that fit right.She always said that if your feet hurt your entire body would know it and feel it.She always had a closet full of shoes...I am following in her footsteps and I know you will too!!! The other part of your body she said you must care for is your teeth as everything you eat with those pearly whites feeds the body and maintains healthy internal organs and blood supply..all that from your Oma's mom!!!Love those shoes Sophie!!!

Melanie said...

We have to buy Stride Rite shoes too. But I have found some killer deals on ebay. That's how I justify it!

Anonymous said...

There is no such thing as 2 many shoes.

Auntie Sharon