Friday, March 10, 2006

Mister

Today is your birthday Holden.
One year ago you came out screaming. And you kept screaming. And screaming.
Even Dr.S, who has delivered hundreds of babies, couldn't believe how obnoxiously loud you could scream for so long. I didn't think you'd ever stop screaming.
We should have taken this as a sign of things to come.
You screamed and cried your little head off every evening for about the first five months of your life. You hated sleeping and loved to be held by Mommy all day.

March 10, 2005

A year later,
You are such a boy.
You are scooting your little butt around as fast as a jackalope. Pushing your little cars and trucks, and anything with wheels around on the floor. You love to throw things. And then say "uh-oh" in the most innocent way as if you had no connection at all to the objects being thrown around. "Thud."
You can eat an entire banana in less than 2 minutes. You are VERY impatient if you do not get your food at the exact moment that you demand it. You also weigh a ton.
You have a passion to lunge and throw yourself against us, the floor, the bed, or whatever you can throw yourself against.
You put everything in your mouth. This week I caught you eating handfuls of dirt outside while I was weeding the garden. I quickly realized that dirt in your mouth makes MUD. Yum.
You like to play in the dog bowls and toilet bowls. You enjoy knocking down trash cans and devouring dirty Kleenex. In fact, you pretty much get into everything.

eating the dogfood

I love you. You make us laugh and smile at your silliness.
You are so sweet. I can't help but succumb to grins and giggles when you flash us with your two-toothed grin.

yogurt

We are having your birthday party tomorrow. We don't have our families here to invite and you don't really have any friends of your own, so we invited all our friends with lots of kids to run around and celebrate your special day.
Happy Birthday my Monkey!

28 comments:

Kat said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Holden!!!!

The picture of him eating the dog food is just priceless!! What a cute little monkey you have!:)

Me said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM IOWA!!!

Rhonda said...

Happy Birthday Holden! Way to keep mommy on her toes!

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Happy Birthday Holden! I cant believe he is already a year!

What a cute one he is!

Steph said...

Happy 1st to such a cute little man ! My niece eats our dog food too !

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Holden.

I love you.
Your future wife, Daughter #2

Kami said...

OMG! He even came out with those lips!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BIG BOY!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Holden! I can't believe he is ONE already. He looks like such a little boy --let's hope that our second year brings rest and peacefulness and lots and lots of fun.

Sheri & SuZan said...

Awwwwww HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLDEN!

I remember mine ate cat food! He is sooooo cute, enjoy him before he talks back.

Leska McCall said...

Awww. Sweet boy. And amazing how he looks the same the day he was born!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday! The first one is the best because you can do anything and they really don't get it yet. Now, next year will be more fun.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Has it really been a year? They are growing so fast, I can not keep up.


Happy Birthday Holden!!!!!!

Odd Mix said...

Happy birthday, Holden! You make me smile too when I see your mom's pictures.

Spikey1 said...

Happy Birfday! From one monkey to another! xo

Unknown said...

You could have been describing a little puppy! :) Happy birthday to your little one. He sure looks big for his age!

Memphis said...

Aren't you the sweetest mom in the world?!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Holden from your friends in Canada. I remember your daddy at his first birthday and how loved he was by his Mom and Dad and my family who watched over him while his parents worked.
Dwayne, Nannie in heaven must be absolutely delighted that you married such a lovely woman and I am quite sure she and your other grandparents asked God to send you these two beautiful treasures to cherish and bring to adulthood.

Jackie

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday Holden!!! Eat lots of cake :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Holden! I was thrilled today when you "talked" to me on the phone. Even though all you said was "hi", it was enough for me. You are one VERY special boy with a VERY special family. You have a wonderful mommy, daddy and sister. Well, maybe your sister isn't always so wonderful to you now, but as you both grow older, she will protect you.

I can hardly wait to see the pictures from your birthday party tomorrow. I wish I was there!!!

Love, Grammy

Hope said...

Happy 1st Birthday Holden!... (and future Mr.Peanut) ;)

Candy said...

Happy birthday, big guy!!

Michelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday little cutie!! I hope you have the bestest 1st birthday party ever.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Holden..even though Oma thought it was today i think I mixed up party day with Birthday!!! Oh how you look like your daddy when he was your age.I have picture of him sticking his fingers in the lit candle on his first birthday...don't burn your finger!!! I can hardly wait to hold you and your big sister Sophie and of course mommy and daddy too. Have a special day with your family friends and give mommy , daddy and Sophie each a big wet kiss from me!!!

Elizabeth said...

Happy birthday, you cutie patootie.

Christie E. Little said...

Happy Happy Birthday!

He's just too cute. Look at his big mouth..lol..of course he's going to use it and scream once he was out.

I hope your party was happy and joyous.
xoxo
Christie

Tammy said...

What a great post! Happy Birthday Buddy!

Nap Queen said...

Awwww, how cute. You know his birthday is always going to fall around Spring Break ;) He'll have some great WBW photos someday!