Thursday, March 02, 2006

Yet another vast difference between men and women

When I clean the kitchen:
I wash the dishes by hand or put them in the dishwasher
The sinks are clean and empty
Leftovers are put away
Table and counters are wiped down
There are no sippy cups or other various dishes still sitting around
The kitchen is clean.

In our house after dinner, I usually clean up the kitchen and straighten up while Dwayne takes the Lummins upstairs for a bath.
There is damn good reason why I always cheerfully offer to clean up downstairs.
Sophie screams veryveryvery loud throughout her entire bath! The water makes her skin itch, she hates when Holden splashes her, the washcloth touched her leg and it hurt, she wants to get out, on and on and on... but she absolutely cannot even stand to hear the words "it's time to wash your hair" without immediately freaking out and screaming at the top of her lungs until the entire hair washing process is complete.
Yes, I love to do the dishes.

After dinner the other night Sophie and I head upstairs after a brief chat with our neighbors outside. Dwayne is starting the bath water and says to me, "Oh, and don't worry. I already cleaned up the kitchen."
"You did?"
"Well, at least 90% of it."

Uh huh.
I came downstairs to see this:

Dwayne cleans

puts food away

sippy cups

90% eh?
He then later changed his answer to 87% after I called his ass out!

The sad part is that in his mind I think he truly believed that he had cleaned up.

20 comments:

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh I am sure he did!

I totally know about the man cleaning!

Memphis said...

I was trying to read this and make an intelligent comment. I swear I was. But I couldn't help myself. I couldn't help scrolling down to your bikini photo and settling there. I may be lost there for the next few days. If you don't hear any comments from me, that's where I'll be.

Unknown said...

Hey, even I was distracted by that bikini shot.

I bet that in the same amount of time he "cleaned", we would have done a load of laundry, picked up the living room and maybe scrub a toilet. They just don't get it!

Elizabeth said...

You did not realize that men never see crumbs or even know that the dishwasher exists?

Spikey1 said...

Oh come on.. you girls are so picky! Sheesh.

Tammy said...

Yep, that would be my husband's version too. Maybe they need to get together and go bowling.

Kat said...

His 90% is about the way you used to clean the dishes in our dorm... :) you've come such a long way, I'm so proud of you. I still have a long ways to go... my dishes stay in the sink until there's no more room, then I move them the whole two feet to the dishwasher.

Could you please stop destroying my image of D being the most organized and responsible man? First the Christmas tree (is it still there???) and now this... :)

Odd Mix said...

Well, if the sad part is that he thought he had done it, then the happy part should be that he tried... and still went up to do the bath with the kids for you. And even if he only did 50%, that's 50% less you had to do, right.

Sheesh, Women... so ungratefull! ;)

Peanutt said...

I'd swear your talking about my husband!!!!

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's more like -90%.

I hate when I THINK that I'm getting help when in reality I find that I'm totally disappointed and have to redo it all myself anyway...

Nap Queen said...

Oh, poor dear. So misguided. I'm more likely to leave the kitchen like your husband did (versus my husband), but I don't call it clean!

Leska McCall said...

LOL. You know, they all had mothers, how is it they have this alternate definition of 'clean' ? I always want to ask " Is this how it looks when I do it?"

Sheri & SuZan said...

You know he really did think he was done. I go through the same thing here. I have tried to explain that doing the dishes also means to go to the living room pick up any glasses or dishes that you used and then wipe down the counter tops. Both my guys don't seem to get it.

Stacie Wagner said...

And I thought Kurt was bad by not wiping down everything. Please don't let Dwayne teach him how to clean!!!

Kami said...

OH GAWD.

Christie E. Little said...

Ok...he's a man! They just don't know how to wipe a counter or table down. It's just not in the dna make up. I SWEAR!

Baby...you see that Starbucks mug in the background with the leather/like gripper...I have the same exact one! Tell me that's yours!I got it because here in the "south" my coffee just doesn't stay warm in my mugs.

Unknown said...

90 % you say?

Well I give him credit for trying.

Melanie said...

I can't even imagine what the kitchen looked like if that was 90% cleaned up! What is wrong with these guys???

Denise said...

Yes. Mine does that too...

Anonymous said...

What a great site
» » »